Search Blog:

Sunday 21 October 2012

Chateau Sainte-Marie Vieilles Vignes 2007

15.0 / 20
Producer: Chateau Sainte-Marie
Region: Entre-Deux-Mers
Country: France







I approached this wine with a bit of caution. Although I liked the 2009 vintage I had tasted a while ago, I did not feel this was a wine made for aging, so at five years old, I was concerned this had long gone downhill.


As I poured it, a deep golden color did nothing to make me more comfortable. On first impact on the nose, a glyceric feel coupled with a lot of boiled pears and apples seemed to hint at a wine past its prime. Fortunately, as time goes by, a nice lime aroma permeates wine and still later, the sauvignon blanc comes forward, with tropical fruits and a touch of vegetable notes.


In the mouth, this is a soft, delicate wine seeming somewhat tired, missing some acidity and freshness. At first, it has a strong citrus feel that, as time goes by, is replaced with some vegetable notes that accompanies the taste till the average length wine that also shows some improvement given breathing time.


Although it was not as evolved as I expected, I would recommend younger vintages if you want to really appreciate this wine, as I found this a bit lacking on acidity and freshness.



Tasted on 2012-06-11

No comments:

Post a Comment